Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Yesterday


Am I understanding this correctly? If you join the corpsecorps of the national police of Spain you get a flying car??? Totally unfair! I joined the “greatest army in the world” and all I got was stupid college money. Funny thing though, I’d always imagined flying cars when they finally came to being would be, I dunno, sexier?

Oh oh oh, you’re saying that’s not a flying car? It’s just a poorly done photo collage and that the new recruits are supposed to go on high speed chases in what appears to be a Geo Metro with approximately 1.5” of clearance? Lame. Next you’re going to tell me those aren’t flying horses in the top left either. Pft.

Speaking of Geos, long ago my friends managed to squish six of us into one and drive up to San Fransisco from Monterey. I can’t remember what we were doing up there specifically, but I do know that we were too young to drink so it wasn’t anything nefarious (for once). San Fransisco, as you probably know, is Dr. Seuss-like improbably steep. There are buildings on top of what look like roller coaster roads and it would seem precarious even if you didn’t have in the back of your mind that it was also on top of a huge and active fault line. We were climbing one of these absurd streets near China Town when the little Geo couldn’t take it anymore. It slowed, the driver shifted downward, it continued to slow, then stop, then drift backwards. She had it floored, but there we went and those of us in the back seat turned around to navigate only to realize to everyone’s horror, that we were on a one-way street and traffic was coming on all four lanes. All six of us then screamed, “NEEE AAAH AHHHHHAHHH! …..LEFT, er, RIGHT! NO THE OTHER WAY IN REVERSE!” as we somehow swung into a tiny dark alley that was lined with dumpsters and smelled like fish. The question was then what to do from there. The alley was a deadend and it was one-way uphill on the street . So we....








...I CAN’T REMEMBER!





ha ha.



As you can see, I have nothing to write about today in regards to my trip. My day is roughly divided into three three-and-a-half hour chunks: train to Madrid; Madrid; train to Logrono. I’ve spent the better part of an hour staring at this stupid police recruitment poster and I’m about to lose it with boredom.

No comments: