Saturday, April 11, 2009

Valencia-ah-ah

I have had that Decemberists song in my head ever since I left my room in Madrid. My original plan was to buy a train ticket for the evening, store my luggage somewhere (I thought I'd seen a rack of lockers when I arrived) then see the Prado for a couple hours before catching my train. But as I walked past the Prado and past the blocks and blocks of people waiting to get in, I began to think that maybe it just wasn't going to be possible today. Then I got to the train station to find out that nearly everything was sold out except at the inconveniently timed 3:20 departure - not enough time to go anywhere, way too much to spend at Puerta de Atocha.

Oh, I didn't mention yesterday that due to the stupid stupid non-holiday of Good Friday, the Prado was closed. Arrrrrrgh. That's all I wanted to do in Madrid. Ohhhh well, I guess I'll have to come back.

I'm in Valencia at the moment which seems like the place I probably should have started in. It's small, yet has things to do, and the hostel is about perfect. It's modern, clean, has a bar and wireless, and there's footy on the big screen. We'll see if my tune changes if there are people shouting outside my window all night like in every other hostel I've stayed in so far (excepting Malaga, but that was only because my room didn't have a window. There was a lot of shouting anyway.). Here are a couple of pics of the place. Ok ok, it's really just two different zooms of the same thing, ya got me.


No comments: