Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Shot O´Clock

I´m apparently staying in a hostel made for frat boys/sorority girls on spring break. I apply the frat boy/etc term internationally, by the way. This morning at about ten our hostel front desk dude yelled, "SHOT O´CLOCK! TIME FOR SHOTS! GET UP!" And so right before laundry I ended up taking a tequila shot and retrieving the lemon slice from the bartender´s mouth. I´m wayyyyyyyy too old for this. Not that I´m complaining too much.

After shots and laundry I played cards wtih some girls from Amsterdam and Germany, then headed to the beach. The Amsterdam girl and I ordered some fried squid and paella, of which I could only eat a little. The stuff is rich! And the only thing I ate yesterday was a hamburger, so my stomach wasn´t used to too much food. I put my feet in the water for a bit, but it was way cold and we just found a place with some grass and palm trees to lay in the sun a bit. Of course, I think I was already burnt at that point, so I´ll probably be miserable tonight when the radiation sets in.

Last night I tried to catch some Champions League football and the bartender at the place I was recommended was really perplexed as to why an American girl would have any interest in football at all, let alone European football. A few English guys joined us and we flipped between the games, which meant that in a total of six goals scored that evening, we saw exactly one. Since Barcelona is playing tonight, I bet there will be more people in to watch the game.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I've just had a brilliant idea... squid and paella served on bartender... by the way... I've been told by a reliable source that one is never TOO old for bartenders bearing (baring?) fruit.

Sara said...

Your source may have a point there, amy. I would have figured the bartender to be too old and too married to play the fruit-in-mouth game himself.