Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Glasgow! Day Three

I was pretty stoked for Friday because The Boy (as they kept calling him) was going to take me out for some music and I was going to drink a lot of adult beverages. And that wasn´t until the evening and in the mean time I was in Glasgow with all its cool buildings and tons of people walking. So I tootled around town in the morning, taking pictures of things and generally looking like a tourist. Then I met up with everyone except The Boy and drank some Guinness and ate some great Indian food at a place called the Wee Curry Shop. NOM NOM NOM, god I love food. Why does everyone (guide books, etc) say the UK has such crappy cuisine? I guess the traditional food isn´t all that great (tongue salad, anyone?) but that doesn´t mean they haven´t imported everything delicious from the rest of the world.

Late evening finally rolled around, The Boy came over and we walked to the other side of town to some bar full of young people. Bars here are hilarious. Because of the lower drinking age there are groups of kids that look like they´re still in high school (in fact, they probably are), all of them have drinks in their hands and are acting like it´s totally normal. It´s kind of surreal and yet pleasant. It´s really nice to be around younger people and it adds a lot of energy to places.

Unfortunately, bars and pubs close at like 11 or 12 or something ridiculous like that and if ya wanna stay out you have to find a club. The Boy´s friend was DJing that night at such a place, so we headed there after last call at the pub. The midget bouncer (alright, alright. he was taller than me) nearly didn´t let me in, accused me of being too drunk and only relented after giving me a warning about not getting "too steamy" or something. I was way more miffed about this than I should have been. I only had two beers - TWO! I was in no way drunk. But I got even more pissed off when we walked in and the first thing we see is some girl with no underwear and her pants hanging halfway down her ass tumble over to the ground, pants falling further, after trying to complete a fairly simple dance move (The Upright Walk, I think it´s called). The Boy winced and said, "That´s about the most undignified thing I´ve ever seen." How the fuck did she get in there? Grrr.

But the music was good, the drinks were drinky and the dance floor filled with people to laugh at. I´m not much of a dancer myself, so The Boy and I chatted and drank on the sidelines instead. I don´t know what time it was when we left there, but outside it was suddenly drizzling and the streets were filled with squeaking, bleached blonde girls staggering around in packs and grunting, hollering boys also staggering around in packs. Some police vans and taxi cabs mingled among the human traffic adn the general noise of the place was "RARRARRARRARR". It was a happy madness though and a few blocks away it was comparatively silent.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Tongue Salad? Is that what the hell I've been eating????? *spit*spit*spit*

Sara said...

Well, Charlie was the one who told me about it, so there's still the possibility it's about as real as the jackalope. Although at this point jackalope salad sounds pretty tasty.