Thursday, April 23, 2009

Ok, so TODAY is the last full day in Spain this time

I thought yesterday was my last day. That's what I get for thinking in this country. I've liked Barcelona so far, but it's a little high-strung, hot and insanely crowded. The problem was the I wanted to catch a night train to Milan this evening, but since this particular train only runs a couple times a week it was already sold out. So the best I could do was book another night in Barcelona and get a Ryanair flight over to Venice to keep all the reservations in Italy I just made. More problems followed in that the hostel I was at in Barcelona was full, so I had to move across town, and the airport I'm flying out of is something like 125km from Barcelona (Girona). Also it's some stupid holiday (again) that involves parades (again) with whistles and men giving roses to women. The sidewalks are shoulder to shoulder people and it's impossible to figure out where you are when you're a midget.

I was so stressed out by the time I got here (and moved rooms/beds/floors due to a mix-up) that I thought I was going to pass out from dehydration. Fortunately, there was a friendly Canadian girl in the bunk below mine and we conspired to charge our computers and do laundry up on the 7th floor terrace bar. Naturally this involved drinking large amounts of sangria, some of which was free by way of apology of the guy at reception. Sure there are famous buildings and churches and museums, but all I wanted to do was chill out for an afternoon. We did manage to make our way to the beach where I solidified the sunburn I had brewing from the roof and watched some shirtless boys play soccer.

And of course, this being Spain, the day is practically beginning. I've just been informed that the hostel bar is open until 4am, so after acquiring some patatas bravas and maybe a sandwich I think I'll retire here and drink myself to sleep. Should take about two drinks.

1 comment:

Middle Child said...

Sounds so good and I know you are enjoying even the upsets...hey youn have survived Afghanistan!!!!