Sunday, April 19, 2009

No Shit

We found a mummy.


We visited another pueblo yesterday, this one much smaller and closer. After surveying most of it - it took about 20 minutes of strolling - we found a cemetery and decided to go in. The gate required unlocking with a key that was about ten inches long and weighed must have weighed four pounds, which was cool just for novelty's sake. Inside there were flowers all over the wall graves since it was just Easter, a small chapel with a bizarre and elaborate crucifix, and another small building just to the left of the chapel. This little building piqued my curiosity as the door was only opened a wedge and it seemed more run down than the rest of the place. Inside was what looked like a raised well, with some pieces of wood covering most of the opening. On the floor were a couple pairs of shoes, oddly. I couldn't see much of anything inside the structure, but something inside the well-hole looked a whole lot like a femur. I tried to take a picture to get a glimpse of what lie inside, but my flash wouldn't turn on and so my cousin cheerfully volunteered to use her own camera. As soon as she takes a couple snaps she let out this whisper/scream, "ahhhhhhhhh eeeeeeeeeeeeeee! it's a FOOT! There's a FOOT EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" and we quickly walked out the gates.

And then, dear god, I just scared the crap out of myself. This next picture shows that it's not just a foot, there's a torso and a head. Criminy, incinerate or bury, don't half-ass either!

I guess I should edit the first sentence of this post. We found a mummy AND a rotting corpse and a pile of bones. Whoa.

1 comment:

Middle Child said...

I am with you...bury or cremate...these places give me the creeps...like a quasi egyptian burial without the embalming