Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Pre and Post Lunch Thoughts

Pre lunch:

Fucking nuns. They're everywhere! I understand that this is the Vatican and all and that there are necessarily a lot of nuns around, but you'd think if they were important enough to get selected to live at church central that they'd have work to do or something.Don't you nuns have some place to be or is it just your new duty in life to walk extremely slowly in front of me with your goddamn umbrella threatening to poke me in the eye? Move it, Sister!

Fucking umbrellas. I hate them anyway and everyone has them here. And if for some reason you don't well there are about a million dudes trying to sell you one. What really gets me is when a family of four is carrying four and trying to walk abreast on the narrow sidewalk. Do NOT make me walk into moped traffic just to avoid your stupid umbrella parade. It's not even raining anymore!

Post lunch:

I like wine.

I found a pub/restaurant run by some Irish people for lunch. The special was a pretty good deal and as I sat there waiting for the bill (which took FOREVER. I'm beginning to think there's some special signal in Ireland for getting the check that I am unaware of. It was like this in Ireland, too.) I messed around on my phone calendar and realized that I've been gone exactly four weeks. Wow, cool! That only leaves..... SEVEN MORE WEEKS TO GO????? Why didn't anyone tell me I was going to be gone so long?

The Colosseum yesterday was rad. I knew it was near the Metro stop, but I wasn't prepared for it being RIGHT AT THE OPENING. Bang! There's the motherfucking Colosseum! I spent all afternoon walking around that and the Forum and the Pantheon, all of which were really fucking cool. Why were all those people waiting to see the stupid Vatican in the rain? Man, fuck the Sistine Chapel.

I've found a place to watch the Champions League games tonight and tomorrow. I have a TV in my room, but of course there's no important soccer matches on it. "It's all about the money," explained the woman at reception. Indeed.

I forgot to book a room in Amsterdam for my birthday and it's already filling up. Dammit!

3 comments:

Middle Child said...

I grew up "intimidated" by nuns so know exactly what you mean...gald the irish did not let you down..hey?

Lena said...

The Sistine Chapel is a dark cavern of sorrow. If you'd like to experience somewhere that all you can do is crowd surf the smokers and Asian tourists snapping flash pictures illegally (and slowly degrading the paintings) to get from one end to another, oh, and also to watch a magnificant work of art waste away before your eyes, that's the place to be!

Anonymous said...

blahblahblahblahblah