Monday, April 6, 2009

Glasgow! Day Two

The sun came out the second day and we drove up to Loch Lomond and Loch Long. Oddly enough, the area reminded me of the Columbia Gorge, minus the wind and a little less steep. I was surprised at the amount of trees. During my last trip to Scotland I took a backpackers' tour through the highlands and I'm not sure I saw a single tree. Ok, that's probably exaggerating, but I maintain that there are far more trees in the Loch Lomond/Long area than further north. We drank some coffee (good! they do coffee in Scotland far better than the Irish), ate some food, visited their boat, and went on a hike during which the spaniel went on a rampage through every mud puddle she came across.

The American that lives there took me out to dinner that night to a Mexican restaurant. After my experiences at Puffins: A Northwest Canadian Bistro in Korea that served "Pah-jee-tahs" and put raisins in nearly everything, I was morbidly curious as to what the Scots would do with Mexican food. Turns out, they probably do it better than in Mexico! I got something covered in chocolate sauce. Spicy chocolate sauce! Holy mother of god was it good. Why had I never considered chocolate with Mexican food?

After eating I plopped down on a bench in George Square to digest some of the giant meal and had a staring contest with a pigeon. It got chased off by a seagull. I'm sure it then pooped on someone's head.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mole sauce!! It can be wonderful when done right, and horrendous when not. There's a place in town here that makes a carne asada burrito with mole sauce, but it's not that good... I haven't had good mole since I left California.

Would have loved to have been there with you guys!