Saturday, May 9, 2009

Real Time Update

I'm terrible, aren't I? A week of blogging past due and here I am adding more stupid stuff.

The problem, ya see, with "space brownies" is that I sit down to do something (write this blog) then forget what I'm doing (presumably something to do with this blog since the tab is open) and say "oh shit, what was I doing?" Pretty soon hours have gone by, except that it's only been fifteen minutes.

It's been a pretty chill day here nearish Amsterdam. It's my birthday too. I didn't do much, but it was nice in and of itself. Took a walk through a huge, gorgeous park nearby on my way to the city to pick up aforementioned brownies. Not only did the park look exactly like the countryside in Pennsylvania, it even smelled and sounded like PA! Everything is lush and in bloom and the temperature is just mild enough that everyone's out and about, walking, riding bikes, being tourists in their own country.

I came back to eat my treat and do some laundry, but I ended up talking to the Latvian who works at reception on the weekends. He speaks more English than Dutch, so he was happy to chat while instructing me how to use the washer (they do work differently over here and it can be tricky). I came out of my room a few hours later to find him folding my underwear. I had earlier changed a load of sheets out for him to move along the queue and he was just returning the favor. Still, we were both amused and a little embarrassed. I like encounters like this while traveling. It doesn't have to be a native of the country you're visiting to be a worthy conversation.

The rest of the day I guess has been spent trying to remember what I was doing before I sat down to.... oh what the hell. I've watched some soccer and I've shopped around a bit for plane ticket prices home. Yes folks, I am contemplating heading home early. I've had a wonderful trip so far and I'd like it to stay at that state. But I'm tired, the little things are starting to add up (physically, and I guess monetarily, too) and I'm worried that I may start to dislike the trip and forget all the good parts. I've been gone five weeks already. That's a decent trip in and of itself! After the Swiss portion it will have been eight countries in six weeks.

I'm going to sleep on it and think about it on the train tomorrow and I'll report back then.

1 comment:

Middle Child said...

You will know when the time to go has come...a happy birthday Sara - I wish I had your guts to travel about. Now I can do it, I don't know how to get started...I love my little place out in the bush...and no doubt could get someone to house sit...I don't think I am ready yet...but one day in a year or three i will do my own lone trip about...I have never been outside of australia...have never seen much of Australia as well... but am where I am meant to be for now...it is good to hear other's tales.