Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Naples/Sorrento

I got on this local train without looking at the arrival time from Rome to Naples. This left me wondering all two hours of it just when exactly I was going to get there. We stopped at every conceivable stopping point and a few that I didn't even consider conceivable. Despite that, it was a beautiful ride along the coastline with mountains and vineyards on the other side and it we did roll into Naples at a reasonable hour.

I'd heard stories about the area surrounding the Naples train station as being the most dangerous in Western Europe, so I was on the lookout as I tried to figure out the really local train service. As it turned out, everyone who works for the trains down that way speaks perfect English and is super nice to boot. In southern Europe, who knew? Anyway, about a half hour later I rolled into Pompeii.

Dude, POMPEII! Actually seeing a the few mummified bodies they have left there - still in the positions they died in, covering their mouths or heads - was a little gruesome and made me a slightly more somber tourist as I clicked away photos of the former Roman town. When I was tired of that, I left, went to Sorrento and found my hostel. Simple as that. I'm beginning to realize that I don't need to do things ALL DAY LONG to have a successful Europe trip.

2 comments:

Middle Child said...

Wow, Pompeii amazing...there will be photos???will there?

Middle Child said...

Found the photos on the right...will have a look