Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Good moment in the chunnel, er, after the chunnel

The Eurostar train between London and Paris is strange. Since London is right on the water, I sort of imagined the majority of the trip would be through a tunnel, but the actual under-the-sea portion was very short and wasn't announced, so I wasn't even aware it was happening until we came out into sunshine and my phone buzzed welcoming me to France and to say that it will cost approximately one million Euros to use my phone.

Speaking of fortunes forked over, 2nd class was sold out, so I was forced to purchase a ticket in 1st class. Since I've been forced into first class a few times this trip, I'm starting to get over my modesty about it. Yes, the champagne really is free. So is the food. Really, you can eat it and even get refills! And for the wooziness-inducing price tag, you better drink all the champagne you can stomach.

And the servers in this particular car were absolutely gorgeous. As they kept filling my glass with champagne and wine I got more and more smiley. One of them who was working the other side of the car was particularly model-worthy and he kept stopping by my seat to say something in French and wink. Near the end of the trip he asked if I was doing OK and I replied with a "Mm hmm." In a friendly mocking way he responded in the most French sounding grunt I've heard outside of Beauty and the Beast, "Mmuh-huh!" I couldn't help it. I stuck my head into the window, which looked out to rolling green fields and cute houses, and straight up giggled for an entire two minutes. A good entrance to Paris, I'd say.

1 comment:

Middle Child said...

I am laughing as well..what did he want...for you to burst out into flowery raptures...can not imagine Sara doing this.